Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Horder? I'm guilty

(sorry, the story is below the pics)

I am horrible at holding onto stuff, but my husband's just as bad, after Michelle and I loaded this onto the truck, he wanted to go through it and make sure it could all go to D.I. he saves EVERYTHING!!!
Now my house is open and without the clutter I am amazed at how I feel, it makes me want to keep throwing stuff away, and stop buying useless STUFF.



My laundry room is clean, and clutter free, Michelle helped me go through a lot of clothes, I held on to shirts that I absolutely hated, but felt guilty throwing out. RIDICULOUS!


The boys function better with all their stuff organized, and because we don't have a play room, a lot of toys got thrown out, but they could care less.

Did anyone see Oprah's show on hording? One lady filled a huge wharehouse full of stuff out of her tiny house. Well, I think my sister Michelle was so sick of hearing me complain about having such a cluttered house, and I was actually getting depressed because I couldn't get a handle on things, and I felt that there was just never enough time ect. ect. I have to thank Michelle for helping me not become like that lady on Oprah. Today, we went running, and then she came home to my house and helped me fill up two garbage cans, and our truck full of D.I. I have been guilty of putting aside my stuff to go through later, and not throwing anything away. I didn't realize how the stuff stacking up made it so much more difficult for me to function as a mom and wife.


Our office was my junk room, I had boxes in there of papers, picture, you name it, it was there for me to go through later. I moved Lydia's room to the office, and put Brigham in Lydia's room, so I cleaned out all of the stuff in the office and filled my living room, it was really ridiculous how much stuff I collected. Michelle was here, and she spent 7 hours helping me go through it, I am so truely grateful that she was here, because I would never have gotten it done, and we would have lived in caos, and clutter causing stress on my family and I. I really feel like I can breathe.


I have always loved going into someone's house that looks so open, and free of clutter, but honestly wondered where there stuff is. Well, I guess I didn't realize, that they throw it out. The stuff that I have kept thinking I'll look through it or use it someday, it did nothing, but sit in the back of my mind causing me useless anxiety. Thank you Michelle. Funny story..........she handed me a CD, and told me to put it somewhere, well, I wasn't sure where I wanted it to go, so I put it in a basket in my room (full of other odds and ends-to find a place later!). Well, a while later, she decided to go through the baskets in my room, and could not believe I stuck the CD in there. I'm going to be better, I swear. My house looks wonderful, and so OPEN! :) Thanks michelle.

5 comments:

Cameron and Michelle said...

I really didn't do it because you complained-infact you are the opposite. It was actually really fun. I love to do stuff like that. It was fun to see the before and after. You didn't mention the money we found!! I hope you called on it first thing this morning well after yoga. Thanks for letting me help. That 7 hours might add up to what you have spent on my hair and my family's hair actually it doesn't even come close because you have done my hair for a long time now.

Laurie said...

Fun! I love decluttering. I love the effect it has. Great pictures.

claytonandmaryannyates said...

wow good job!michelle is always a great help wiht that she really loves to help people live more free and happy! we are pretty lucky to have eachother i know i take it for granite but i truly feel so blessed to have such an AMAZING family! Now you know how I feel about cleaning, it's the way i feel when it's all done and everything has a place. i do like to hang onto things i think because we started out with NOTHING now we're accumulating stuff and so to just throw it away it will go to waste but not if the freegans get a hold of it.

The Crocketts said...

You inspire me! My mom is coming down next week for the weekend and I'm going to have her help me clear out our house. I know I will feel so much better after! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Heather

Lisa said...

Your 'before' is so like my house! I'm working (in between carpooling, nursing, blogging, regular cleaning, dance, 4H, cub scouts, etc) to clean out our rooms too. It was easier last year when we were planning to move - that lit a fire under me! Your 'after' is inspiring.

I am planning to run the marathon, I actually have several races lined up for this year, I think I'll post them soon. It was either pull taffy or send my kids to their rooms for the night (did I really make the right decision?) I do have to run early (5:45) when I get going but I have great friends to go with so it's more like a morning out with the girls! (I should get your e-mail instead of taking up comment space!)