Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day Dad

I just wanted to wish my dad the Best Father's Day, and reminisce through the years of my childhood. After having one girl myself, I can't imagine raising THREE more. I think my fondest memories of my dad were in the car. Because I chose to go to Lehi, my dad drove me every morning, and because I was a teenager, I had no concept of my dad having to be to work......oh the drama of not having anything to wear, and not finished with my hair.......and of course if I got into the car, and dad thought my shorts were too short, I had to march back into the house to change, of course the shorts would go into my backpack to change into when I got to school(sorry dad). I have many memories of sitting in the garage and helping my dad (really just keeping him company, and fetching his water) with the little blue Renault that my parents let me drive to school. I knew if I didn't stay in the garage until it was done, I wouldn't have a car to drive. I remember holding up sheet rock in the basement while my dad went to find nails. I remember hiking Timpanogas mountain with the family, and my dad always trying to teach us to be prepared in any situation. I remember the many, many, many times my dad would be out looking for me in the wee hours of the morning. Now that I cherish sleep so much as a parent, I am so sorry for that. I always hoped that he would be asleep when I got home, but NEVER did that happen. I remember running the Salt lake marathon and I passed my family at the end, but the only one at the finish line was my dad, I collapsed in his arms and had such an overwhelming feeling that I was witnessing a little bit of how it will be when we return home to our Father in Heaven! I remember my dad going to everyone of my basketball games, and being so supportive. I remember my dad taking me to UVSC every day the first year I went there, he always tried to get me to memorize, scriptures, or Articles of Faith. Mostly I remember the importance of Family Prayer, and Family Scripture EVERY day were to my dad. Dad never missed an opportunity to have Family Prayer. I am so thankful for my Father, and want him to know how much I love and appreciate him. Love you Dad. Greg, where did you think your good looks came from?

I love the expressions on my mom and dad's faces.

What a great example you are to all of us dad.



6 comments:

Josie said...

What a sweet tribute. What would we do without the dad's in our lives. It feels like it's been a while since we've seen you. We'll be down soon and hopefully get to see little Cade:) If you want anything from Layers feel free to call me or email or if you order online my stylist code is 400. josiechristensen@yahoo.com Talk to you soon!

Cameron and Michelle said...

That was great! It was really fun to read your memories while remembering mine. A lot of my memories of dad were in the car too while he drove me to BYU. Mom was always the one who waited up for me you must have worn dad out. Great Post. We really do have an amazing DAD!

Anonymous said...

Leanne,

How fun to read your memories. I certainly have enjoyed the time that I have been priveleged to spend with my children and sweet wife. It was fortunate that we have had the gospel to guide our lives and give us faith as we work our way through this life. Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute to your dad. It is very important to write things down because you sure do forget. Thankyou

Laurie said...

Wow, that photo of him does have some resemblence to Greg! What a nice post for father's day.

Quiggle said...

I loved these family photos! I think the picture of your dad looks like Chirs.