Saturday, June 28, 2008

Oh, how we learn...

I spent most of the day Saturday doing laundry, and washing load after load. When I clean I don't listen to music, I just talk to myself. My thoughts were turned to how I was going to answer at judgement, when I am asked how I managed my finances. On Friday night, I decided since John was at a football camp, I would pack all four of my kids in the car, and go shopping. I'm sure my mom is gasping about right now, and asking, "Why would you do that?" I don't know, I had a target gift card for $30, and oh ya, I needed to pick up Brigham's crib bedding. After 8 months of being in my room, I think it's about time he sleep in his own room. I found a crib set for $69, you can't beat that!!!! So anyway, I headed to target, and oh ya, Target also had my wallet that I lost 2 weeks ago, I canceled the cards, and got new ones, but at least I know someone doesn't have it. So, we're at Target, my kids are doing pretty well; I decide to shop around a little. I bought some stuff that came to about $40. I pulled out my new wallet, and my gift card wasn't there? I don't know where I put it, so I just used my debit. We stayed and got popcorn, pretzels, and chicken fingers at Target(gross). Then I decided that I wanted to run into Children's Place to see if they had a swimsuit for Lydia, they didn't, but had some great sales for Brigham. I got him a cute pair of shorts and a shirt for church, no he didn't really need them, but I thought I'd use them for our family picture I intend to get someday soon!!! Then Lydia came up to me with this purple dress. Lately she has decided that she loves PURPLE. She carried it around and told me she "Weally wanted to get it!" I thought it was on sale for $9.99, and thought it was kind of cute how she was so determined that she wanted it, so we found purple flip flops to go with it for $1.99. She was so EXCITED! Well, I didn't find a swimsuit, but managed to spend money for clothes we didn't necessarily need, and her dress was not on sale, it was $14.99, but I caved. So we walk out, and I thought I should check Gymboree for a swimsuit. I didn't even have a stroller for Brig, I was lugging his car seat. So we all walked down to Gymboree. Of course, they were having a HUGE sale. I found the cutest swimsuit! I was so excited, it was on sale for $9.99. The kids were watching a movie, so I shopped around a little, and found a cute skirt and shirt for Lydia for only $11, and come on, tell me it is not fun to go to church with a cute new dress. So, I went up to the register, and of course had to buy the cute matching swimsuit cover up for only $7.99. While I was at the register, the lady at the counter asked if I saw the cute plaid shorts that matched the shirt I bought for only $5.99! How can you not buy them? Well, the kids were tired, and I still needed to get Brig's bedding. Why do I tell you all this, because all day today, I have been thinking, thinking about why finding a good deal makes me feel so good, and it is so easy justifying a good deal for shorts when in reality I really don't need them. I mean, am I really going to look back at my life, and say,"Oh, I remember those shorts, I got them for such a good deal." I know that I could be better, I think I find a good deal, but always end up buying more than I need. Just a thought, I have a feeling, that I am not the only one who thinks about this. I know we hear over and over again, that our generation is the generation of more, more, and more. I don't necessarily think that it is evil to shop or buy stuff, I absolutely LOVE Lydia's swimsuit. It makes me smile when I see it on her, because it is so cute. The other stuff was not necessary, Lydia would probably not even remember today that I didn't buy her dress. I just want to be smart, be conscious of my wants, and my needs, and my daily choices. On Sunday, I taught Payton's primary class, the lesson was on making choices. I told them to imagine they were alone on a raft in the middle of the ocean. They discover that they must lighten their load because the raft is riding low in the water. They must throw overboard all but two items of their supplies: Life jacket; first aid kit; chest filled with gold; Fishing pole, tackle and bait; Case of one dozen bottles of fresh water, Two-way radio, Box of emergency flares, Large can of shark repellent. This activity posed a dilemma, choosing would be difficult because they would not know what would happen in the future: they might sink and need the life jacket, become thirsty and need the water to drink, become hungry and need the fishing pole, encounter sharks and need the repellent, need the radio to seek help, get hurt and need the first-aid kit, need the flares for a nighttime rescue, or get rescued in the next few hours and wish they had kept the treasure. Anyway, how fitting that a lesson I was teaching to 8 year old children helped me so much. I am thankful that I have the choice to learn more to be like my savior. He is the true example, and it might take me all my life, but ultimately it's not about the choices that we think will make us happy, we do not know the future. I am grateful that I have the knowledge that we are here on earth to learn and grow, and we will make mistakes, and then we will learn to recognize those mistakes, and strive to be better. I am thankful to know that "The Lord is my Shepperd; no want shall I know. I feed in green pastures; safe folded I rest. He leadeth my soul where the still waters flow, Restores me when wandering, redeems when oppressed. I really felt like I needed to add this, because I struggle with this, and want to strive to make better choices not only for myself, but for my children to learn that they can't make choices by themselves without the help of the Holy Ghost, no choice is a silly choice, because each choice we make is another step closer to where we want to end up, and for me, that is back with my Father in Heaven and to hear him say, "Well done, way to make good choices!!!(or mostly good choices:)) "
Brig's new bedding, what a steal!


Lydia, showing off her PURPLE dress she picked out all by herself! The purple flip flops were only $1.99, she has a ton, but we're always looking for flip flops when we leave the house.


The shorts I was easily sold on.



Lydia's cute skirt for church. My justification,"They are both 4t, so they will fit her next year too."




The swimsuit that should have been my only purchase for her!!!





4 comments:

jakeandstephanietaylor said...

i did the same thing today...went to JUST return and walk out with more STUFF! (that we supposedly need...right???)
Anyways I have really cut back on spending lately and it was almost weird walking into the mall today with all 3 of my kids:)
Its hard when things are a GREAT deal!!!
The stairs in the nursery just go into a little room. Right now its a play room but eventually i want to have murals painted in it, put a child size couch and bookshelves and just make it a reading room where we can have quiet time...
Anyways I love the bedding you got too! So FUN!

Natalie said...

Your great! That is my motto this year is to simplify! Who needs all this stuff? I do ok until I hit the mall and realize how out of style I am, and they always seem to have the best deals when I am there. Your kids are darling!

lauraleereber said...

Brigs bedding is really cute. I love that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get something cute. I just can't let myself go to target. I can do some real damage there.

Morrow Family said...

Leanne,
You make me laugh. Of course we have all been on an unnecessary shopping spree. Shopping spree's are very rarely necessary. I what to thank you for what you blog. You always make me stop & thing about what I can do to be a better person. I feel like I get a spiritual boost from your blog. Thanks so much. Me:0)