Monday, January 28, 2008

Follow the Prophet, don't go astray.

Tonight for family home evening, I really wanted to help my kids understand how much I loved President Hinckley, and I saw on someone's elses post his beautiful testimony he gave in the April 2006 conference, and what a gift we will always cherish. I shared his testimony with my kids, and of course the 9 ways he has taught from his own life to be happy and make something out of our lives.
Be Grateful
He always spoke of his deep gratefulness for his sweet dear wife Marjorie

Be Smart
I loved this interview with Larry King, it was very obvious Pres. Hinckley was well educated, and was very smart in helping others understand our religion without turning them away.

Be Involved
He was the most traveled President of the church, and did not miss any opportunity to be involved. Here he is lighting the Olympic torch of Neil A. Maxwell.

Be Clean
We know Temples were of great importance to him.
Be True
He spoke the truth in over 2000 speeches. I remember one comment he made about having a hard time coming up with something new. I loved his humor.

Be Positive
Even when he lost his best friend his wife of 67 years, Marjorie Pay Hinckley, died in 2004, he told Larry King: “The best thing you can do is just keep busy, keep working hard, so you’re not dwelling on it all the time. Work is the best antidote for sorrow.”

Be Humble
Many leaders around the world had deep respect because of his humility.


Be Still
What better place can we go than to the House of the Lord, and so many people are blessed to have a temple closer to them because of him.

Be Prayerful
I pray that I will remember the things this great prophet taught.




President Hinckley's testimony:
"I hope that all of you will remember that on this Sabbath day you heard me bear my witness that this is God's holy work. The vision given the Prophet Joseph in the grove of Palmyra was not an imaginary thing. It was real. It occurred in the broad light of day. Both the Father and the Son spoke to the boy. He saw Them standing in the air above him. He heard Their voices. He gave heed to Their instruction.
"It was the resurrected Lord who was introduced by His Father, the great God of the universe. For the first time in recorded history, both the Father and the Son appeared together to part the curtains and open this, the last and final dispensation, the dispensation of the fullness of times.
"The Book of Mormon is all that it purports to be—a work recorded by prophets who lived anciently and whose words have come forth "to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations" (Book of Mormon title page).
"The priesthood has been restored under the hands of John the Baptist and Peter, James, and John. All the keys and authority pertaining to eternal life are exercised in this Church.
"Joseph Smith was and is a prophet, the great Prophet of this dispensation. This Church, which carries the name of the Redeemer, is true.
"I leave you my testimony, my witness, and my love for each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."
President Gordon B. HinckleyApril 1, 2006, Sunday morning session of the 176th Annual World General Conference

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I love these photos and how they go along with each point. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou so much, those were great photos, I need to learn how to post photos besides the ones on my computer. Did you scan those? Great comments, yes we need to remember every day those beautiful thoughts. Mom

Heidi said...

this was such a great post on our sweet prophet. Thanks for all your thoughts! That book, "Way to be" is my favorite book of all time.

Sharp family said...

Thanks for that sweet message!
Rebecca

Josh and Michele said...

hey Leanne!
When I read your blog, I could totally relate to everything you said. We have alot in common.

My blog? My sister in law makes the cutest website: www.cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com
She has alot of free backgrounds and gives directions on how to on her site. You should check it out. It is so fun to change around all of the time. And it is so easy